In the late 1870s, Canon Miller, supported by key local landowners and worthies, including the Hirsts of Broad Mill, Colonel William Sidebottom and Edward Chapman, gave money and land for a church in Broadbottom, and St. Mary Magdalene was built in 1890.
Seventeen years later in June 1907, an organ was installed, dedicated to the memory of Edward Chapman who had contributed so much to the church and school.
Between 2008 and 2012, planning and fundraising saw the redevelopment of the church building as ‘The Magdalene Centre’, our new Parish Hall and Worship Space.
In 2009, the project was given a real impetus by Tameside Council when, funded by a Government grant they renovated the back third of the building as a Sure Start Children’s Centre, then for some time it was used as a primary school classroom. Now renamed the Chapman Room, it is used mainly for an out of school club. This work, which included toilets, kitchen space and disabled access, really laid the foundations for a new phase in the mission of the church in that part of the parish.
The hall itself, with modern flooring, heating and lighting, is now used daily by the church, the church school, numerous community groups or for private hire. It is also a venue for modern worship services, concerts, dinners and all manner of social events, and thus is a key meeting point for the parish as whole and community facility for the people of Broadbottom.
To find out more about hiring the hall yourself for events, parties or to host a community group click here.
|A short tour of the Magdalene Centre|